[compiz] Re: gnome-window-decorator -> gtk-window-decorator and some restructuring

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Mon Sep 25 07:41:54 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 09:12 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> David Reveman wrote:
> >> gconf is pretty much gnome-specific at this point in time
> >
> > OK. I don't know how big the interest is in running gwd outside of
> > gnome. Making the gconf code in gwd optional wouldn't be very hard if we
> > want that. I can also imaging that there might be people who want to
> > build gwd without having contol-center and all it's dependencies
> > installed.
>
> I don't know how much of a political hot potato this suggestion will be....
>
> If there is indeed a desire to drop such hard dependancy on gnome, would
> you consider adopting the csm plugin from beryl into compiz?
>
> In my mind this would achieve two goals in that you would be able to
> drop the gconf dependancy for which there is no real reason to use other
> than "it's there", but also that you'll get a working configuration
> editor in the form of the csm application.

I haven't looked at the csm plugin. What configuration system is it
using? Is it a new configuration system? In that case I'm curious to
know why someone felt like there was a need to invent a new one.

We can have 20 configuration plugins as far as I care. However, I'm not
sure which ones should be hosted in the compiz repository on
freedesktop.org.

There's no gconf dependency. The only thing that depends on gconf is the
gconf plugin. I don't see why there should be a desire to drop it, gconf
is the current configuration system for the gnome platform and if you
want to have compiz integrate properly that's what you would want to
use.