[compiz] ATI and GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap error

Paul Wellner Bou paul at purecodes.org
Mon Apr 23 03:11:38 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to install and run compiz on my computer since a few months
yet and there is no way. Today I checked out the latest git version and
it does not work neither.
I have a ATI Radeon 7500 rev200 and I think thats the problem. I am
using the open source radeon driver and xorg with AIGLX (on debian
testing/unstable). DRI is enabled and working, glxgears, too. The output
of glxinfo is good, too.

Starting compiz I get this errors:

$ compiz --replace gconf &
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
compiz: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not supported by direct rendering
context, trying indirect rendering context instead
compiz: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

I get a Desktop environment without window manager and without any
window decorations. I can switch the focus, because I have "focus
follows mouse" but I can't bring windows to the foreground and I can not
move the windows.

I spent hours searching for this error messages and I tried all I read.
Running "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=TRUE compiz --replace gconf" does
eliminate the error message, but compiz is not working, same result.

Does anybody know whats the problem with this error message? Where can I
start to search for more information? Are there any libraries wrong? Is
this an issue of the xorg radeon driver?

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Paul.

P.S.: my lspci output:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 QW
[Radeon 7500] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
         Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 7500
         Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32,
IRQ 16
         Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
         I/O ports at a000 [size=256]
         Memory at e1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
         [virtual] Expansion ROM at e0000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
         Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0