[compiz] Dual-screen compiz mostly working

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Aug 1 03:03:30 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 07:50 +0000, Mick Semb Wever wrote:

>  - my second screen doesn't render properly. Compiz events cause it to
> redraw but application events do not cause a redraw!
> This is a showstopper for me so i'm still using metacity when in dual-
> screen setup.

That sounds weird, can you create screenshots or something to illustrate
the problem?

>  - my screens must be vertically positioned. Compiz doesn't render the
> full width when the screens are side by side. Even when vertically
> position i cannot have the second screen at 1600x1400 for the same reason.
> Is this a limitation of compiz? Are there plans to fix/improve it?

This is most likely due to the coordinate limits of the hardware 3D
engine. That could be worked around in the Mesa driver, but there would
still be the texture size limit others pointed out, and that can't be
worked around in the drivers with the current
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap API so it would have to worked around by
different means by compiz.

>  - my fonts are not nearly as clean and crisp under compiz as they are
> under metacity. It's like the fonts are thick and fuzzy under compiz.

I've seen this before, I think it happened
when /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/texture_filter is set to 2
(maybe also 1)
and /apps/compiz/plugins/cube/screen0/options/inactive_opacity was set
to less than 100 (which I think is a bad idea in general).