[compiz] Dual-screen compiz mostly working

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Thu Aug 2 12:03:34 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 12:03 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 07:50 +0000, Mick Semb Wever wrote:
> >
> >  - my second screen doesn't render properly. Compiz events cause it to
> > redraw but application events do not cause a redraw!
> > This is a showstopper for me so i'm still using metacity when in dual-
> > screen setup.
>
> That sounds weird, can you create screenshots or something to illustrate
> the problem?
>

> >  - my screens must be vertically positioned. Compiz doesn't render the
> > full width when the screens are side by side. Even when vertically
> > position i cannot have the second screen at 1600x1400 for the same reason.
> > Is this a limitation of compiz? Are there plans to fix/improve it?
>
> This is most likely due to the coordinate limits of the hardware 3D
> engine. That could be worked around in the Mesa driver, but there would
> still be the texture size limit others pointed out, and that can't be
> worked around in the drivers with the current
> GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap API so it would have to worked around by
> different means by compiz.
>

> >  - my fonts are not nearly as clean and crisp under compiz as they are
> > under metacity. It's like the fonts are thick and fuzzy under compiz.
>
> I've seen this before, I think it happened
> when /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/texture_filter is set to 2
> (maybe also 1)
> and /apps/compiz/plugins/cube/screen0/options/inactive_opacity was set
> to less than 100 (which I think is a bad idea in general).

compiz will always use NEAREST filter when windows aren't transformed
and the texture_filter option will only change the filter that is used
for transformed windows. Anyhow, if the BILINEAR filter happens to be
used when a window isn't transformed, a decent OpenGL implementation
should provide BILINEAR texture filtering that is accurate enough to not
produce a visible difference between NEAREST and BILINEAR filters in the
non-transformed case.