[compiz] Dual-screen compiz mostly working

Mick Semb Wever mick at wever.org
Fri Aug 3 01:49:39 PDT 2007

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:03:30 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

>>  - my second screen doesn't render properly. Compiz events cause it to
>> redraw but application events do not cause a redraw! This is a
>> showstopper for me so i'm still using metacity when in dual- screen
>> setup.
>
> That sounds weird, can you create screenshots or something to illustrate
> the problem?

I've got some video captures of the problem:
http://wever.org/compiz-dualscreen-horizontal-3000x1200.ogg
http://wever.org/compiz-dualscreen-vertical-1600x2250.ogg
http://wever.org/compiz-dualscreen-vertical-1400x1818.ogg

For horizontal-3000x1200, you can see the both compiz and applications
events are accurately redrawn on the first monitor, but only compiz
events are redrawn on the second monitor.

For vertical-1600x2250, which also exceeds the 2048x2048 texture
limitation, the same is true although a part of the second monitor
redraws both ok.

For vertical-1400x1818, which should be within the texture limitation, a
similar result to vertical-1600x2250 occurs where only a part of the
second monitor is redrawn.

Some extra oddities:
 - this texture buffer, or atleast the rectangle covering both screens
that redraws correctly, seems to change depending on the screen
resolutions, ie it isn't fixed to 2048x2048,
 - never in dual-screen is my nautilus background rendered, except
through the application-transparency of the gterm window,
 - even in single-screen sometimes the desktop background (infact
everything but the current window) flashes black, i've seen this happen
when an icon in gnome's system tray is blinking,
 - even in single-screen sometimes windows (more often maximised windows)
just appear black or with the full desktop's background rendered within
the window. When the background is rendered in the window instead of the
application's contents the background is live regarding any changes to
the real desktop background.

~mck

--
"Traveller, there are no paths. Paths are made by walking." Australian
Aboriginal saying