[compiz] kconfig plugin

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Fri Aug 17 10:29:34 PDT 2007

I've added a kconfig plugin and all kde based configuration tools should
rely on it. A file watch plugin like the inotify plugin will have to be
loaded for configuration changes to be picked up by the kconfig plugin
at run-time.

kcfg files are generated from the metadata and they can be used to
generate C++ source code that will provide an API for applications to
access all compiz configuration data.

As an example of how easy it now is to create a kde config tool for
compiz, I've attached a tarball with a simple xslt style-sheet, a
makefile and 20 lines of C++ code that will create a configuration
dialog that can be used to configure all compiz options in the core and
the plugins specified in the makefile.

The xslt style-sheet that is used to generate UI descriptions can be
improved a lot by someone who's interested. As far as configure-it-all
kind of tools goes, I think this auto-generated zero maintain cost
example is the best solution.

Much more interesting would be if someone would write a real kcontrol
module that integrate properly with the kde desktop. E.g. doesn't
present options that are already available in some other kcontrol
module, only expose options that a majority of users are actually
interested in and have the same look and feel as the rest of the
kcontrol modules.