[compiz] Tooltips show up on all screens of cube

Erkin Bahceci erkinbah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 21:50:36 PST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 1:01 PM, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 17:48 +0100, rudolf randal wrote:
> > When ever i hover over something that gives me a tool tip - it is
> > showing on all sides of my cube - dont want that - is there a cure ?
>
> Not really as we're not allowed to change the location of the tool tip
> windows inside compiz. They are override-redirect windows and window
> managers are not allowed to touch them.
>
> We could of course just avoid rendering them on more than one side of
> the cube but that would be pretty bad unless we also redirected the
> input.
>
> -David

Hi,

Won't the user always be on the same viewport where the tooltip/menu
is actually shown? (since it opens because the user is interacting
with an application on that viewport). If that's the case, the user
will always be able to interact with the menu, so we could just not
paint override_redirect windows (menus, tooltips) on all viewports,
with the attached patch.

If there is any case where the menu opens up on another viewport (is
that even possible?), I think only then we should render it on all
viewports (or at least on the active viewport), so that the user can
interact with it.

Regards,
Erkin