[compiz] Invisible window problem

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue Feb 27 02:06:04 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 14:11 +0000, Mike Dransfield wrote:
> There is a bug which I am seeing and a few people are reporting
> on the forum.
>
> The problem is a hidden window which is always rendered on
> top.  It is always short and wide and appears near the
> bottom-center of the screen.
>
> Here is the output from xwininfo on that window, xprop produces
> nothing.
>
> xwininfo: Window id: 0x3400787 (has no name)
>
>   Absolute upper-left X:  294
>   Absolute upper-left Y:  413
>   Relative upper-left X:  294
>   Relative upper-left Y:  413
>   Width: 1092
>   Height: 264
>   Depth: 0
>   Visual Class: TrueColor
>   Border width: 0
>   Class: InputOnly
>   Colormap: 0x0 (not installed)
>   Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
>   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
>   Backing Store State: NotUseful
>   Save Under State: no
>   Map State: IsViewable
>   Override Redirect State: yes
>   Corners:  +294+413  -294+413  -294-373  +294-373
>   -geometry 1092x264+294+413
>
> Is there any other debugging information I could get on this?

Can you reproduce it? if so, how?

> The bug was introduced just before the release of 0.3.6 and is
> present in that release and current git.
>
> Does this sound familiar, or should I report it as a bug, it is
> very annoying because the window blocks clicks so you have
> to move windows up to interact with them.

It's probably one of the input only windows that compiz creates that get
into some weird state.

Compiz creates input only windows for screen edges, for window
decorations, in clone plugin and in scale plugin when using dnd. Try
disabling each of these and see if it helps (you have to disable all
plugins that use screen edges to not have them mapped).

- David