[compiz] Re: BSO paint values - was window matching interface and the new match option

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Feb 28 07:02:58 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 17:31 +0100, Danny Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > obs does not appear to listen for the client messages, so I
> > assume that there is a separate code path in core which does
> > a very similar thing to your changeWindowOpacity function?
>
> Indeed. This is done in core's event.c.
>
> > Are you planning to pull all of that out into a plugin too?
>
> Hmm, good question. It would be fairly easy to do, but I'm not sure if
> that makes sense (obviously without the plugin loaded, there would be no
> client initiated opacity/brightness/saturation changes possible).
> Maybe David can share his opinion with us here? ;-)

I touched a bunch of the opacity code in the core while adding the
opacity matching options. It was pretty bad and it's still not that
good. I think that moving the opacity increase/decrease functionality as
well as the new opacity matching code out from the core would clean it
up and it seems like a good idea. Lets start with that and we'll see
what else it makes sense to move out later.

(I'm still trying to decide if we should have the workspace switching
options in core or not... which is why that patch is not in yet.)

- David