[compiz] Blurring behind windows

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 18:47:40 PST 2007

It is a common request and I think it can
be useful.  The problem with beryl blur is
that it is way too slow.

I haven't poured through all of their code
but I strongly suspect that there is some
intensive code to work out where to blur.

I would be happy with just a basic blur under
transparent windows.

Is there anything that can be done in the core
to make effects underneath transparent windows
easier?   The other problem with the blur was
that 100% transparent parts of the window were
blurred so corners of the windows had strange
looking blurring.

There is a basic blur plugin here, all my attempts
to get it working have failed so I would welcome
any tips.  Could the core be changed to support
these blur functions?

http://forum.go-compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=207