[compiz] Blurring behind windows

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 07:38:43 PST 2007

Solerman Kaplon wrote:
> Mike Dransfield escreveu:
>> It is a common request and I think it can
>> be useful.  The problem with beryl blur is
>> that it is way too slow.
>>
> Really? It is very fast here on my old fx 5200. So fast I left it
> enabled on transformed windows and can drag windows around with wobble
> and notice no lag. Maybe you forgot to play with the options and tweak
> it so it is fast there? The cache option seems to make a lot of
> difference, as well as choosing a small (2x2 or 3x3) blur area. Does
> your card support pixel shaders? If it doesn't,  I remember someone
> doing it on fixed pipeline, but don't have it here so I don't know if
> it has been integrated into the current plugin or not.
>
> Solerman

I think my aim is to have a blur plugin that you do
not need to tweak endlessly to get decent performance.
There should be other more complicated blur plugins if
people want but all I need is a basic blur that I cannot
notice a performance hit with.

I have a 6800 now and had a 5200 before, both cards
had slowdown with blurfx.

My real question was on how to get the texture only
under the window?, from what I can work out this is
not easy, and is probably a cause of a lot of the
slowness.  If another plugin wanted to desaturate under
windows as well as blur then the overhead would be
massive.