[compiz] Compiz ignoring changes in gconf in Opensuse 10.2

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 10:31:51 PST 2007

Matthias Hopf wrote:

> Well, then the infrastructure is not 100% in place. If you select compiz
> as the window manager (and not KWin - yes, you can do that in SL10.2),
> compiz is started with the dbus plugin and nothing more.
>
> I don't know whether compiz should be automatically configured
> afterwards, or whether a different configuration plugin is to be
> developed. That's something one of the KDE developers should probably
> comment on.

In *theory* it is possible to run compiz without gconf
and with a program that stores the configuration data
outside compiz.

Each time compiz is started you could repopulate the
settings from your stored values.  They would be lost
from compiz on each restart.

Like I said, in theory it might be possible, but I do not
think that people would really want to do it.

The solution is to write a KDE based compiz configuration
plugin for compiz, this would then communicate via dbus.

Your startup script seems to be broken, it should start
compiz the same way for KDE as it does for Gnome.