[compiz] Question about extending screengrabs

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 10:52:07 PST 2007

Danny Baumann wrote:
> The problem is that this method (which also came to my mind
> yesterday ;-) ) can't be used at all for replacing otherScreenGrabExist
> - given the fact that you don't want to have a string list of active
> plugins in each plugin. Maybe I'm also misunderstanding you a bit - how
> would you think should the plugins store the information of active
> plugins?

I wouldn't want it to replace otherScreenGrabExist
because I feel that is for a slightly different purpose.

My approach was to try to add cooperation, but not
dependencies between plugins.  My examples are:

1.  3D, Beryl uses IPCS for this which is not recommended.
I would like 3D to be able to listen for rotate -> initiate with
mouse only and then use that signal to raise the windows.

2.  Zoom on cube rotate.  This could easily be added to the
cube plugin and it is a highly requested feature.  I thought
it would be nicer if zoom could listen for the same signal and
use that to zoom out.  It would mean that the users zoom
settings could be used and everything would be more
consistent.

If your plugin needs to maintain a list of all plugins that
have activated then you could always store the index in
the active_plugins setting but I would suspect that there
is another problem somewhere if you need to do this.

> No, you're mixing up the showdesktop mode and the showdesktop plugin ;-)
> (Confusing naming, I have to admit...)

I think this is one case where the fix lies in the plugins
rather than something that is needed in core.

If you are referring to showdesktop mode then you can
read the hint on the root window.  If you are referring
to the showdesktop plugin then the plugin needs to be
fixed so that you can do that.

Maybe something could be done in core or there is
something we are missing which can make animated
showdesktop plugins easier?

Regards
Mike