[compiz] Menu fix for firefox and blur

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Fri Jan 19 09:41:28 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 01:49 +0000, Mike Dransfield wrote:
> For some reason all mozilla and open office menus
> are Normal type.  This causes problems with all
> plugins which use the window type.
>
> This patch is applied to all plugins and seems to
> work flawlessly.  I am submitting it for blur because
> the first window of all firefox menus are blurred.
>
> I know its a hack, but at least it should be fairly
> harmless inside each plugin.  It is always marked
> with 'menu fix hack' so it should be fairly easy
> to remove when the time comes.

Here's what I think about including workarounds for broken apps:

Workarounds for issues in libraries or apps that compiz depend on are OK
but a fix for the real problem should preferably be created first. E.g.
bugs in libXrender or the X server.

I don't like to include workarounds for bugs in regular X clients. I'd
like to keep the source code tree clear of those. Including this kind of
workarounds will just make it less likely that the real problem is
fixed. However, I understand that we can't live without these
workarounds and I don't discourage anyone from using them in any
packages they are creating. I'm including workarounds like this in the
packages I'm creating.

It might make sense to add a broken apps page to compiz.org, which could
contain a list of the current set of workarounds with descriptions and
links to bug entries.

This 'menu fix hack' is particularly bad as it removes the possibility
for override_redirect windows that actually want the window type to be
Normal to work properly. Hence, adding a bug to compiz.