[compiz] New configuration system

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Fri Jan 26 16:32:47 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 08:54 +0100, Stjepan Glavina wrote:
> I see many people hate Compiz (and use Beryl) just because it needs
> gconf + many other GNOME deps. I think this is the biggest advantage of
> Beryl over Compiz.
>
> Yes, users don't have to compile compiz with gconf, but how will they
> configure things? They'll modify the sources?
>
> Compiz needs a new configuration plugin. A text-based one, independent
> of tons of libraries would be great.

The number of people who are interested in text-based configuration
support is very limited. Giving a few thousand SLED users a good user
experience has higher priority for me than implementing something that a
few users that hang out on the forum wants. I hope you can respect that.

There's nothing that stops someone else from implementing some
text-based storage of compiz options. If the dbus dependency is alright,
then it shouldn't take much more than an hour or two to write a simple
daemon that keeps a text file in sync with all options exported by
compiz.

- David