[compiz] [idea] wavefront obj+mtl viewing inside cube plugin

Steven Hunt srhlefty at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 12:35:14 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

With the introduction of Dennis' paintInside function, I can imagine many
end users wanting to display things inside of the cube--corporate logo,
distro logo, miniature city, etc.

For static objects, we should easily be able to load one at runtime, rather
than developing a separate plugin for each, allowing us to do what we do
best (programming) and the artists to do what they do best (create stunning
models).  This can be accomplished if we write a model viewer that uses the
inside of the cube as its output.

A common and portable format is the Wavefront OBJ+MTL spec.  A few days ago
I came across an open source library for parsing these files, as well as an
example OpenGL program that displays the textured model.  If I base a new
plugin on Dennis' gears, it should be trivial to mesh the two (no pun
intended :P).

I have already compiled and tested the example code (it comes with a MS VC++
6 project) and it works just fine.

1.  Is this a worthy/sensible goal to pursue?
2.  The library and example code are written in Spanish.  I have very basic
Spanish skills.  Can anyone help me?

Happy Saturday,
Steve Hunt

[PS: I also found code that works as an MDL viewer (the spec used by
Half-Life), which supports animated models]