[compiz] Focus behavior when not using "Click to focus"

Jesper Andersen jespera at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 01:35:56 PDT 2007

Hi.

I am currently not using "Click to focus" (and would rather not) when
using Compiz. Mostly then the focus behavior works as I expect. There is
one case where it does not:

Suppose I have two windows on viewport 1 but am currently looking at
viewport 2. The mouse cursor is currently located such that if I were to
switch to viewport 1, it would hover over window 1 (and thus give focus
to window 1). Now, if I manually select window 2 (using either switcher
plugin or the scale plugin or any other where I don't move the mouse)
the viewport changes to the correct (vp 1) but the focused window is NOT
window 2 that I selected, but window 1 which the mouse is now hovering.

Since I decided (by using the switcher, scale, ...)  that I wanted to
switch to window 2, focus should not be given to window 1 but to window
2 irrespective of where the mouse hovers.

Alternatively, one could argue that more than two focus models ("Click
to focus") are needed. I.e. "Click to focus", "Focus follows mouse
sloppily", "Focus follows mouse strictly" or perhaps others.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Jesper Andersen