[compiz] Java animations, Google Earth flashing with Compiz enabled

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Sat May 3 07:37:19 PDT 2008

On Sat, 3 May 2008 14:50:47 +0300
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/5/2 Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk at voicenet.com>:
> > The Xorg direct rendering infrastructure does not support direct
> > rendering of redirected windows, which means you will get serious
> > flickering and rendering issues with compiz and fglrx on AIGLX.  The
> > same is true for the open source intel and radeon drivers.  This
> > will be resolved in Xorg once DRI2 is stabilized and released, and
> > then the various drivers will have to be updated.  There is no
> > timetable for this yet.  This would explain the issues you have
> > with Google Earth, though not necessarily with java (unless, of
> > course, the java applet is using your systems opengl libraries).
> >
> > Adam
> >

> I see, thank you.
>
> However, I noticed the same symptoms with XGL as well. Does XGL not
> replace AIGLX? If not, what does? I've googled and read about XGL and
> AIGLX in wikipedia, however, I still do not understand exactly what
> does what. I should assume that getting Java (very important to me)
> and Google Earth (just a toy) is possible, because I had them running
> on Ubuntu 7.04 (with XGL). Compiz is also important to me, as I need
> the accessibility features (zoom and negative in particular). Thanks.

I would not say that AIGLX has replaced Xgl.  Xgl has separate goals
from AIGLX...  It's just that Xgl is no longer maintained, from what I
understand.  Development has pretty much stopped on it.

However, Xgl is still available with ubuntu 8.04.  You could certainly
try using Xgl again.

Adam

believed to be clean.