[compiz] Can't Turn OFF compiz autostart since 0.7.4.x

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon May 12 17:04:46 PDT 2008

Devs, compiz listmates:

	Why can't I turn off compiz autostart on openSuSE 10.3 i386? Compiz just
decided to start automatically with KDE login ever since I upgraded to the
first 0.7.4.x release from the openSuSE build service. I have tried to disable
it by creating the file "disable-compiz" in ~/.config/compiz but compiz still
starts at login. Even if I switch to kwin before logoff/shutdown, compiz still
starts at the next login. I am currently using fglrx-8.476 and it is working great!

	Moreover, when compiz starts by itself, it is using KDE window decorations
despite setting the window decoration to emerald with fusion-icon and
confirming that it was in fact set in .config/compiz/compizconfig/Default.ini

[decoration]
as_command = emerald --replace

	Currently the following versions of each package are installed by yast:

compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.7.4-3.3
compiz-fusion-kde-0.6.2-3.1
compiz-emerald-themes-0.6.0-1.1
python-compizconfig-0.7.4-3.4
libcompizconfig-0.7.4-3.4
compiz-0.7.4-12.1
compiz-kde-0.7.4-12.1
compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.7.4-2.4
compizconfig-settings-manager-0.7.4-3.5
compiz-emerald-0.7.4-3.5

	How can I make compiz not start at KDE login? Can I set a switch or something
in a .ini file. If it shouldn't be starting by itself, what/where is the most
likely cause?

	It is a bit annoying to have to switch back to kwin and then back into compiz
to get emerald decorations loaded. Additionally, there are some things I can't
use compiz with like video or external monitor for presentations.

	Other than that, compiz is working great with many improvements! Window
scrolling is much improved and now crisp with no lag between scroll input and
the action taking place. The speed and smoothness of desktop switching is also
much improved for all ctrl+alt+<down arrow> , ctrl+alt+<left/right> and
ctrl+alt+[left click and grab]. The only issue I have is this autostart mess.

	Thank you for your help!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC