[compiz] Will radeon or radeonhd work with compiz?

Wil Reichert wil.reichert at gmail.com
Fri May 8 21:23:57 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM, David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 08 May 2009 10:59:26 Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 May 2009 08:25:49 -0500
>>
>> "David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E." <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>> > Sam, Danny, J., all
>> >
>> >     I am working with the radeon and radeonhd drivers seeing if I can get
>> > them to work with compiz 0.8.2.1 on my radeon x1200 laptop. My xorg .conf
>> > is:
>> >
>> > Section "Device"
>> >   BoardName    "RV350 NP"
>> > #  Driver       "radeon"
>> >   Driver       "radeonhd"
>> >   Identifier   "Device[0]"
>> >   VendorName   "ATI"
>> > EndSection
>> >
>> >     I have tried both the radeon and radeon hd driver with same results.
>> > Upon Compiz start, the display behaves exactly like it is going to work.
>> > The display goes blank, sequentially erasing and redrawing each window,
>> > but then it never actually  starts. The windows are just left there with
>> > no decor. You can sill provide in put to them, but you cannot move or
>> > resize them. Issuing kwin --replace causes the reverse to happen (windows
>> > destroyed, black screen, windows then redrawn with kde decor.
>> >
>> >     Does anybody have and idea what's happening and how to fix it? Thanks.
>>
>> Assuming you have the Mesa 3D drivers installed and working properly,
>> then yes, compiz will work just fine.
>>
>> What distribution is this, and how are you trying to start compiz?
>> What's the output of 'glxinfo'?
>>
>> Adam
>

> Adam,
>
>        I mesa is loaded, but I'm not sure what you mean by Mesa 3D. I just know it
> as Mesa. Here is what is loaded:
>
> (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
> (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
>
>        Do I need something else?

I had a problem similar to this on Gentoo.  I'd kick off compiz and no
borders, no errors, nothing.  Then I realized everything was working
fine, compiz just wasn't configured at all.  Figured it was just
stupid defaults on Gentoo, perhaps its more global that that.  Try
this - launch compiz however you do form a terminal, then run ccsm.
Start enabling stuff.  under window management make sure you get 'move
window' and 'resize window' and application switcher at the very
least.  for image loading, select everything.  Under effects select
'window decorations'.  Under utility select 'dbus', 'glib' &
'inotify'.  Try that, it should get you basic functionality.  Beyond
that, its all however much bling you want.  Most of the shiny comes
from 'wobbly windows', '3d windows' and 'animations' tho.

How that helps.

Wil