[compiz] Will radeon or radeonhd work with compiz?

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat May 9 00:40:29 PDT 2009

On Friday 08 May 2009 23:23:57 you wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM, David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
>
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 08 May 2009 10:59:26 Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> >> Assuming you have the Mesa 3D drivers installed and working properly,
> >> then yes, compiz will work just fine.
> >>
> >> What distribution is this, and how are you trying to start compiz?
> >> What's the output of 'glxinfo'?
> >>
> >> Adam
> >
> > Adam,
> >
> >        I mesa is loaded, but I'm not sure what you mean by Mesa 3D. I
> > just know it as Mesa. Here is what is loaded:
> >
> > (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
> > (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
> >
> >        Do I need something else?
>
> I had a problem similar to this on Gentoo.  I'd kick off compiz and no
> borders, no errors, nothing.  Then I realized everything was working
> fine, compiz just wasn't configured at all.  Figured it was just
> stupid defaults on Gentoo, perhaps its more global that that.  Try
> this - launch compiz however you do form a terminal, then run ccsm.
> Start enabling stuff.  under window management make sure you get 'move
> window' and 'resize window' and application switcher at the very
> least.  for image loading, select everything.  Under effects select
> 'window decorations'.  Under utility select 'dbus', 'glib' &
> 'inotify'.  Try that, it should get you basic functionality.  Beyond
> that, its all however much bling you want.  Most of the shiny comes
> from 'wobbly windows', '3d windows' and 'animations' tho.
>
> How that helps.
>
> Wil

Wil,

	You are a genious! I never would have believed it. The current install is on
archlinux. Most of my other installs are opensuse (where a fglrx driver is
available). All I did was rsync my .config/compiz/compizconfig from an
opensuse box over to my archlinux box, started compiz again and Presto! All
was well in the world -- well almost ;-)

	Man this was strange?? Is the default config distro specific or is it a
compiz generic issues that could be tweaked here?

	Only other strange issues for compiz with the radeonhd driver is that when I
run glxgears, the background for the gears is completely transparent (100%
gone). Additionally, shift switcher does not erase the original windows
before drawing the shift switch windows (the gradient draws correctly though)
See:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/compiz/radeonhd/shiftswitch.jpg

	After closing all apps and restarting them shiftswitch seems ok??

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/compiz/radeonhd/shiftswitch.jpg

	Only real downside so far with the radeonhd driver is the frame-rates in
glxgears is about 1/5 what it was with the fglrx driver (Current: 188 FPS,
w/fglrx: 1000 FPS). But the desktop effects work smoothly, etc.. The only
noticeable lag is with rotate cube and on window resize, but it isn't that
bad either.

	Thanks again!

cc: radeonhd at opensuse.org

	Guys see also, the glxinfo output and Xorg.0.log:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/compiz/radeonhd/glxinfo-radeonhd

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/compiz/radeonhd/Xorg.0.log

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.