[compiz] Move KDE Plasma Integration to KDE Git Infrastructure

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at bohemians.org
Fri Jan 21 00:03:14 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:02:54PM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 20 January 2011 21:00:23 you wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 05:07:46PM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > > problems: Compiz's KDE Plasma integration is moved to KDE's
> > > infrastructure and could be released in sync with the rest of Plasma.
> > > This means you don't have to care about the release (done by KDE's
> > > release team).
> > > [...]
> >
> > There's an obvious solution that hasn't been mentioned.
> >
> > Git is distributed.
> >
> > Keep it both with kde and compiz.org. Sync up whenever necessary. No issues
> > with commit privileges, benefits from the KDE-community, no political
> > issues, translation-benefits, support for all versions of Compiz, and so
> > forth.
>
> That would be the first solution: own repository in KDE. But it still has some
> problems which would need to be solved. E.g. to push a commit to KDE's git
> repo, the committer must have an account. But we have awesome sysadmins to
> help on that if we agree on going such a way.

Well, we need to co-operate on the code too. I didn't mean mirroring it
both places either, but keeping to separate repositories that both evolve,
given that we sync up.

Normally most distributed development is all funneled into a single,
official release (E.G: Linux), but in this case, you'd have two equal
repositories. The development on either side isn't so big that it's a
problem to manually request pushing and pulling.

It's perhaps not the easiest way to work, but it is closest to have the
actual work is being done. Tight cooperation but at the same time two
distinct projects with different aims.

> > Maintaining something you need to run a window manager (Compiz) in a
> > repository of a different window manager(KWin) doesn't really add up. I see
> > your logic from the KWin perspective, but not the Compiz-perspective.
>
> Well for Compiz I see there a better integration into Plasma, the "official
> blessing" from a competitive project and of course the chance for improving
> the existing integration (there are several things I would like to see
> improved, e.g. swap KWin's configuration modules against Compiz's when Compiz
> is used) and more collaboration (in that regard the refactoring work might
> become handy).

I agree, but it also diversifies the Compiz-centric development. But if we
allow parallel development, we get all the benefits and the same overhead
we'd need anyway to work together. We still need to agree on the basic
ideas, but synchronization becomes easier.

I'm open for other alternatives, but I suspect this is closest to the
actual work flow. But best of all: it allows us to easily change our minds.

"Do you want A or B"? "YES!". And then there was cake.

All decisions should be made based on the likelihood of getting cake in the
end.

- Kristian