[compiz] 0.8-based Compiz work

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 07:53:23 PST 2014

Hi Kristian,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Kristian Lyngstøl <kristian at bohemians.org>
wrote:

> For the last few weeks I've been fiddling with the 0.8 code-base, mostly
> because compiz got nuked in my distro and I had to do something, if for no
> other reason than to have a running WM. You can find my work at:
>
> https://github.com/KristianLyng/compiz
> (I'm also tracking issues there)

Great. Issue tracking is important.

> I've done what I felt like doing, some of which would've been
> controversial/problematic 5 years ago. Hilights:
>
> - Merged plugins from plugins-main directly into the regular plugins.

By 'regular plugins' here do you mean 'core'?

> - Ditto for bcop

I'm assuming this is the case.

> - Several tweaks and improvements to the build system, including silent
> building, building of bcop-based plugins without the bcop "binary"
> installed, much better handling of ./configure (still, work in progress)

Build system stuff, ugh. I'm glad you're doing it.

> - Add a README which is also compiled to a man page.
> - Fix loading of default plugins specified at ./configure
> - Sane handling of file paths for images, and error reporting
> - Added simpler logging, that is easier for devs to use.
> - Some very minor bug fixes
> - Change coding style (I prefer my bike shed green)

We should adopt a coding style. I prefer the Linux kernel style. Can you
make an outline for the coding style documentation?

> I don't have any big world-domination plans. I've got some ideas of where
> I want to go, but I don't want to make a mess for anyone. Ultimately, this
> is just me fiddling around with code I used to know very well, not an
> attempt to smear compiz 0.9-work or "steal" anything. If it turns out to be
> of interest to others, we'll just have to see what happens and deal with
> questions like "What do we call it?", "Is it a fork?" and "Do these pants
> make me look fat?" then.
>
> I wanted to hold off on this mail until things were looking a little
> better. I am having some trouble understanding why my compizconfig stuff
> isn't working at the moment. I'm sure I can get it to work out-of-tree, but
> it's more important to me to know why it's not working and even more
> importantly, why it doesn't report why it's not working. I am writing a
> config-plugin to experiment (appropriately named lolconf). I expect to sort
> it out within a few days, but make no promises.
>
> Unfortunately I feel like I have no choice but to announce this work
> "officially", despite it's premature state. Scott seems to be set on
> pushing his own agenda, despite my appeals to wait for a couple of weeks so
> we can see what comes out of my work. I've repeatedly stated that I'm
> willing to work with anyone, including Scott, despite his constant flow of
> personal attacks and temper tantrums. I don't want this mail to be about
> him, but I wanted to explain why I'm telling you about a side project when
> config plugins are still broken.
>
> So my "plan" is simple:
>
> - Fix configuration short term, possibly long term
> - Finish the ./configure work so it's easy to tell from the summary what's
> missing.
> - Fix random minor things that I feel like fixing
> - See about packaging (.deb and probably .rpm)
> - ?????
> - Profit

s/- Profit/- Be Happy/

> Feedback, help, chocolate, patches, etc are most welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Kristian

Thanks for your help Kristian. I look forward to testing and reviewing so
we can improve compiz together. I'm glad we are able to realize our common
ground.

Sincerely,

Scott Moreau