[ConsoleKit] extend ConsoleKit to support fast reboot on OpenSolaris x86

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Sep 9 07:23:02 PDT 2009

On Wed, 09.09.09 10:09, David Zeuthen (zeuthen at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Lennart
> Poettering<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> >> If 'fast reboot' is available, why would I even want slow (e.g.
> >> 'normal reboot')?
> >
> > Because a hardware reset is still a hardware reset. Just rebooting the
> > kernel does not reinitialize the hardware.
>
> For that oddball case, you have the following options
>
>  - use reboot(8) from the command-line and don't select 'fast'
>
>  - shutdown the machine, power it back on (most serious enterprise
>    setups have things like lights-out / remote power management)
>
> In other words: I don't think it's something we should expose in the
> GNOME UI.

Yes, exposing this in the GNOME UI seems like a really bad idea to me.

Exposing this in some way in CK however makes sense to me. That way
pkgkit could select the fast reboot while the usual shutdown dialog
selects slow.

> > BTW, we have this on Linux too, and had it for quite some time. There
> > is "kexec" which allows a Linux kernel execute another Linux
> > kernel. IIRC on Debian if you install a 'kexec' package the 'reboot'
> > call is actually turned into a 'fast reboot'.
> >
> > Maybe this is something we want to support in CK for Linux, too? Would
> > certainly be nice if after a pkgkit upgrade we could be a bit
> > quicker in bringing the system back up.
>
> Yup, but I think this is something Linux's reboot(8) command should
> support natively. That is to say, I'm still not convinced we need any
> ConsoleKit changes here. FWIW, I'd love to see this happen - I have a
> box (with lots of SAS hardware) that takes 60-90 seconds until it gets
> to the bootloader...

I think CK should support this. For the simple reason to allow pkgkit
to trigger a fast instead of a slow reboot on package upgrades.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net