[ConsoleKit] extend ConsoleKit to support fast reboot on OpenSolaris x86

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:36:47 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Lennart
Poettering<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>> For that oddball case, you have the following options
>>
>>  - use reboot(8) from the command-line and don't select 'fast'
>>
>>  - shutdown the machine, power it back on (most serious enterprise
>>    setups have things like lights-out / remote power management)
>>
>> In other words: I don't think it's something we should expose in the
>> GNOME UI.
>
> Yes, exposing this in the GNOME UI seems like a really bad idea to me.
>
> Exposing this in some way in CK however makes sense to me. That way
> pkgkit could select the fast reboot while the usual shutdown dialog
> selects slow.

Why would some user of CK (e.g. a program) ever want select the slow method?

I think the point I was trying to make is that you only want 'slow' if
you are trying to debug some oddball problem. Or if your hardware
broken (in which case you edit a configuration file that reboot(8)
will read so it always select 'slow').

     David