[CREATE] Re: shared resources

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 16 01:16:22 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 01:43, Alexander Prokoudine wrote:

> I don't know if everyone has joined this list (or even knew about it),
> so if you find it interesting and you are not in this boat yet, please
> go to http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/create and
> subscribe.
I have :-). I've also done the weird thing with Freedesktop's Bugzilla that
you mailed about, but I never heard from that again.

<...>

> So please have a look at
> http://www.lrn.ru/~avp/specs/shared_resources_spec_0.0.3.txt and let's
> discuss, what could be improved, fixed and so on.

Ad 2. Brushes

There is a third type of brushes: XML brushes that describe types of
behaviour, like paint deposition, fringe spatter and so on. It's not likely
that this type of brushes will be very easily sharable between applications,
but if there's to be one location for users to install brushes to, these
brushes should go there, too.

In the near future, Krita will be able to use Photoshop brushes, too. (At
least, up to Photoshop v. 6, I don't have information about fileformats for
newer versions).

Ad 2.3, Gradients

Tim Beaulen has just implemented support for openclipart svg gradients for
Karbon, and is now working on fixing Krita to make use them, too.

Ad 2.7 Patterns

Krita also loads patterns from /usr/share/color/icc & can use the new X11
standard to get the display profile.

Ad 2.8 Clipart

Karbon does have an embryonic clipart browser, but it's really uselul at the
moment.

Ad 3.0

I really don't have any definite preferences on the naming of directories. I
though it would maybe be easier to make the hierachy more explicit, like

clipart/brushes/pipe
clipart/brushes/gimp
clipart/brushes/vector
clipart/brushes/photoshop

Because the set of brushes can grow a lot, and some application will only
be able to read one specific type.

But I'm not adamant on this.

The icc profiles are already under color/icc -- that shouldn't move to
clipart, I think.

> I would be very thankful to those people who could help me eliminating
> "Needs further investigation" section :)
>
> Moving the specification to Freedesktop.org wiki would help a lot.
>
> It would be really great to see Skencil, Karbon14 and more GIMP
> developers here as well.

Karbon... It's a bit of a problem at the moment. Rob Buis is too busy with
canvas and svg implementations to do much work on Karbon. Several people have
contributed patches recently, but no-one has stepped up to deputize for Rob
as coordinating maintainer, so there isn't someone who clearly needs to be
included here. Maybe after Akademy.

> Oh, there is another long term goal as well: support for metadata
> (Author, Version, License etc.) in resources files. We definitely need
> it, but this will require design and implementation efforts, which I'm
> not sure we all have at the moment.

Good point. Resources are also hard to translate at the moment.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi