[CREATE] Re: shared resources

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:14:01 PDT 2005

On 8/16/05, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> I have :-). I've also done the weird thing with Freedesktop's Bugzilla that
> you mailed about, but I never heard from that again.

FD.o guys who are in charge for creating projects are really busy atm AFAIK

> Ad 2. Brushes
>
> There is a third type of brushes: XML brushes that describe types of
> behaviour, like paint deposition, fringe spatter and so on. It's not likely
> that this type of brushes will be very easily sharable between applications,
> but if there's to be one location for users to install brushes to, these
> brushes should go there, too.

Agreed. To be added to 0.0.4

> In the near future, Krita will be able to use Photoshop brushes, too. (At
> least, up to Photoshop v. 6, I don't have information about fileformats for
> newer versions).

If they are bitmap, let's add it to the spec as soon as there is at
least alpha support in one of mentioned applications.

> Ad 2.3, Gradients
>
> Tim Beaulen has just implemented support for openclipart svg gradients for
> Karbon, and is now working on fixing Krita to make use them, too.

Hmm, I non at http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/Gradients, but I
will add mentioning then to v0.0.4

> Ad 2.7 Patterns
>
> Krita also loads patterns from /usr/share/color/icc & can use the new X11
> standard to get the display profile.

None, patterns are not the same as profiles. These are images to
multiply times fill a selection. Like fill an ellipse with a leopard
skin looking texture.

> Ad 2.8 Clipart
>
> Karbon does have an embryonic clipart browser, but it's really uselul at the
> moment.

To be added to 0.0.4, thanx - I didn't notice it.

> Ad 3.0
>
> I really don't have any definite preferences on the naming of directories. I
>
> though it would maybe be easier to make the hierachy more explicit, like
>
> clipart/brushes/pipe

pipe?

> clipart/brushes/gimp
> clipart/brushes/vector
> clipart/brushes/photoshop
>
> Because the set of brushes can grow a lot, and some application will only
> be able to read one specific type.

Good point. Anyone else, please? :)

> The icc profiles are already under color/icc -- that shouldn't move to
> clipart, I think.

Pretty fair. I also think that OpenIcc would be enough. But I'd rather
to listen to more people first :)

> > It would be really great to see Skencil, Karbon14 and more GIMP
> > developers here as well.
>
> Karbon... It's a bit of a problem at the moment. Rob Buis is too busy with
> canvas and svg implementations to do much work on Karbon. Several people
> have
> contributed patches recently, but no-one has stepped up to deputize for Rob
> as coordinating maintainer, so there isn't someone who clearly needs to be
> included here. Maybe after Akademy.

okay

> > Oh, there is another long term goal as well: support for metadata
> > (Author, Version, License etc.) in resources files. We definitely need
> > it, but this will require design and implementation efforts, which I'm
> > not sure we all have at the moment.
>
> Good point. Resources are also hard to translate at the moment.

Btw, how does it relate to XML brushes in metadata aspect?

Alexandre