[CREATE] shared resources spec

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 7 04:39:25 PST 2005

Hi Daniel,

> Better to have a final decision than an interim solution :-) These
> things have a habit of sticking once they've been adopted.

Well, /usr/share/create was one of the proposed solutions, and a few agreed on
it. Some got stuck on the idea of media etc.

> > think pushing the create project into distros is an important step
> > and until we have a 0.1 release its a bit hard to start that.
>
> We'd like 64 Studio to be the first distro to adopt the shared
> resources package. Presumably though, if you want to put fonts in
> there, they won't be under /usr/share/create. What about putting the
> various objects in their own directories, eg /usr/share/palettes and
> so on? That would appear to be a more generic solution.

We need a package that is installable. We do not plan to share fonts. Create
is aiming to be a generic solution for the apps that depend on it.

/usr/share/create/palettes
/usr/share/create/soundbites
/usr/share/create/gradients

or whatever, in the future.

> Whatever you decide, please, please make it LSB 3.0 and therefore FHS
> 2.3 compliant:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHAREARCHITECTUREINDEPENDEN
>TDATA

Can't honestly see how that isnt...