[CREATE] Release Timetable

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Fri Oct 7 00:02:34 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 09:09:27AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> >Yes, I got interviewed today by Will from Newsforge/OSTG about the
> >Create Project. We agreed that our first public announcement should
> >coincide with the publication of his article on the project.
> >
> >Does that sound good?
> >
> >I posted more details on the roadmap for the project a while ago, so
> >hopefully we can check off the other items before doing the first
> >release. Good?
> >
> >Please check the Roadmap out:
> >
> >http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap
>
> OK
>
> * Logo up for the project: proposals are at
> http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Create_Branding, let use
> one of them;

I like the lightbulb motif better than the clouds or flames.  The
lightbulb on the bottom left is my favorite, as it gives you a strong
contrast of a very "techie" feel but demonstrating itself as a very good
artistic representation, with of course the symbolic meaning above all
else.

However, all that said, I think the logo could benefit from some
additional brainstorming on concept; the lightbulb is kind of a generic
symbol and may not make the best logo.

If you anticipate possibly holding a logo contest at some point, then
the three cloud logo in the bottom right would be a good choice; it's
simple and clear but ephemeral enough that it almost asks to be
replaced.  ;-)

Pjrm thought the flames gave a good idea of "spreadability".  He also
pointed out that the flame and light bulb, as light sources, touch on
visual aspects of creative media, but don't cover sound.  He added,
'there might be some metaphors of "striking a chord" / "resonance" that
have a visual representation'.

Some ideas of things that give both visual and auditory effect:  Cathod
ray tubes, crystals (prisms or radio crystals)...

Peter also suggested that the flames might be drawn in a way that seem
to resemble members of a chorus singing.  A chorus also gives the sense
of distributed collaboration, of multiple individuals working together
to produce in sum something greater than any could produce alone.

A chorus of light bulbs might also be an interesting twist, but might be
hard to represent effectively without looking too contrived.

Bryce