[CREATE] OpenRaster

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Aug 9 11:02:39 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 20:56 +0200, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> On 8/8/06, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 20:47 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > > I read today more on blending options in PS
> > > (http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/printerfriendly.asp?p=26131&rl=1)
> > > and I wonder If we want something similar in OpenRaster.
> > >
> > I think this sounds like a natural thing to include in this format for
> > operating on images. I'm sure as well we will find a great way to
> > unearth even more blending modes, etc.
>
> In my current experiments in GEGL (which has serialization/parsing of
> XCF2 like XML now), I have not set any restriction on what
> filters/composers (compositing modes) can be used. I probably already
> use more such modes than photoshop support.
>
> The bigger question is which compositing modes should be in a baseline
> specification for OpenRaster, the classic over operator is the only
> one that is 100% mandatory.
>
> /Øyvind K.

Pippin, this is very interesting...I hope we can get all these ideas
written down...

Hmmm...we have two pages on the Create wiki which look awfully the same:

http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Non-destructive_images_processing

http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/General_multilayered_bitmap_exchange_format

I wonder if we should combine them together onto an OpenRaster page to
move this standardization along and push to get it into
OpenDocument...what do you all think? It would be good to capture these
XCF2/OpenDocumentRaster/OpenRaster into one page/format name...what
would the name of this format be anyhow so that it would fit in with the
OpenDocument format?

Jon

--
Jon Phillips