[CREATE] Re: Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Mar 21 06:09:57 PST 2006

Am 21.03.06, 11:52 +0100 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:

> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 11:56, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > Am 21.03.06, 08:55 +0100 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
> > > I have read most of the publicly available prior discussion on XCF2 and
> > > similar efforts, and I know about the shortcomings of that scheme. But:
> > >
> > > * zipfile with maindocument and layers in seperate documents is a scheme
> > > that has proven itself already.
> >
> > Having not read too much about past discussions, anyway some questions:
> >
> > o Is a zip file seekable in any case?
>
> Yes.

In the sense of seeking in a jpeg file inside the zip file, through
libjpeg - No.

A zip file is seekable on a too low programming level. Without a general
purpose library, which handles this low level stuff, there will remain
many applications without proper support for the new format or perhaps
slow down the desktop.

For a general exchange format it would be desireable to support:
o seeking (inside of the contained files)
o selfexplaining - would be really nice
o easy programmable

Ok, this are only the weak or unclear points I see with the zip format.

> > o Zip is prooven to what kind of document content?
>
> Layered raster images with exif and icc data and adjustment layers.

Oh, which applications make use of it? Maybe I can get an idea how it
is proven in practise, that would be nice.

> > o What is with audio, video?
>
> I don't know: the prposal is about a standard file format for the interchange
> of layered raster images, not a general multimedia file format. Of course,
> the same trick we use for layer binary data could be used for general
> multimedia content, if needed.

Audio, video, large graphics are pretty much the same.
If the format shall be extensible, other media would be the next steps to
cover.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management