[CREATE] Re: Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Mar 21 06:36:22 PST 2006

Am 21.03.06, 08:57 -0500 schrieb Leonard Rosenthol:

> > A zip file is seekable on a too low programming level. Without a general
> > purpose library, which handles this low level stuff, there will remain
> > many applications without proper support for the new format or perhaps
> > slow down the desktop.
>
>         This would fall on my second item, when compression inside the archive
> is implemented - and I would agree.  BUT if the archive is JUST a
> wrapper/container and does NOT provide additional compression (that's left to
> JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc.) - then I don't see any problem with acceptable.

We here understand this issue, but due to the bare possibility I expect
many applications to brake this understanding. Why not simply put all this
stuff into a tar file? It has no compression. No one can go wrong about
double compression, thus creating slow to seek image files.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas