[CREATE] XMP : MakerNote

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Fri Jun 8 15:16:03 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Friday 08 June 2007, you wrote:
>         I've discussed this the XMP team and they do NOT recommend the
> inclusion of a "binary blob" of data inside of XMP, and ESPECIALLY
> NOT the MakerNote data.   That should remain as a binary block inside
> the other formats.  That is how Adobe Creative Suite handles it and
> we would recommend that for compatibilty you do the same.

I fail to see how having the MakerNote as a blob inside the XMP entry or
outside is different, you still have a blob at some point in your file.
Beside XMP allready includes some data whose meaning is undefined, like the
exif:DeviceSettingDescription, at least this tag from my camera doesn't seem
decodable by a human :)
As for compatibilty with Adobe Creative Suite, the last available
specification for PSD doesn't include a position to where maker notes are
stored (unless it can be find in the Meta Data Setting ?) while the XMP entry
in PSD files is described in the XMP specification, so if the MakerNotes were
in the XMP it would be possible to extract it. That's one reason why I
preffer to have all metadata stored the same way in a file.

--
Cyrille Berger