[CREATE] Lens correction database

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri May 11 04:10:37 PDT 2007

On 11/05/07, Yuval Levy <create07 at sfina.com> wrote:

> > Who would be interested in using and building such a database?
>
> I'd be willing to build the online tools to enter and manage the database.

Awesome!

> CODE: the code should be free. I'd recommend GPL for the data structure
> and the web based application;

I hope you'll consider the upcoming Affero GPL when it arrives (it
will be released as part of the GPLv3 process) for the web based
application :-)

> and something like LGPL for that part of
> the code that will be integrated into the applications to do the XML
> parsing and actual correction based on the database information. No
> restriction on using the code from within closed source applications.

I think the normal GPL is much more suitable, since this functionality
is not seen elsewhere, so it will give free software advantages over
proprietary software. Free software needs those advantanges now more
than ever, since free and proprietary applications are starting to
compete on equal footings :-)

I highly recommend http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html that
explains the raitionale for not using the Lesser GPL in detail.

> CONTENT/DATABASE: I'd ensure that the database content is owned by one
> person/entity with a condition on the entry page stating that "by
> entering data in this form, you officially transfer copyright and
> ownership of it to <FILL THE BLANK>".

The Software Freedom Law Center - www.softwarefreedom.org - has set up
its Conservancy project to allow free software projects to do just
this, with very little work for hackers. Inkscape has already joined
the conservancy, and I highly recommend contacting them about this -
other benefits include legal protection (such as if a camera
manufacturer tried to sue the project for some daft reason), friction
free access to tax-deductable donations infrastructure, and, most
important, advice about how best to license the project from real
lawyers :-)

> then I'd multi-license the database:
> - a free license for non-commercial use within open source applications.

A non-commercial use license is not free as in freedom. It would be a
shame to have this great functionally locked up in a non-free/livna
repository.

> - a small fee for commercial use within open source tools (e.g. 20$)

Since its trivial to remove any user registratoin/copy restriction
functionality in free software, this is a donation system; there is,
of course, nothing wrong with asking for money to help promote
development, and the SFLC is the best route to taking such money.

> - a negotiable fee for licensed use in closed source commercial
> applications.

Please consider the tradeoff between licensing for use in proprietary
software and using the money to promote free software, and not
licensing for use in proprietary software and using the unique
advantage to promote free software.

> I think it is reasonable to ask for money from commercial players,
> wether they are users making money using open source code or companies
> selling closed source software licenses.

Its reasonable to ask money from everyone, but not to require it, imHo :-)

> XML

As jon said, text is better than binary databases, and XML is a great
form of text :-)

--
Regards,
Dave