[CREATE] lensdb Licensce [Re: Lens correction database]

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Sun May 20 02:21:56 PDT 2007

Hi Yuval,

>> License:
>

 > CODE: the code should be free. I'd recommend GPL for the data structure
 > and the web based application; and something like LGPL for that part of
 > the code that will be integrated into the applications to do the XML
 > parsing and actual correction based on the database information. No
 > restriction on using the code from within closed source applications.

I'd like to license the library that interacts with the database as GPL,
since I'd like to keep the database free and open. If a vendor wants to use
the database easily, they can then always ask for a commercial license of
the software interface and the corresponding correction routines.

> CONTENT/DATABASE: I'd ensure that the database content is owned by one
> person/entity with a condition on the entry page stating that "by
> entering data in this form, you officially transfer copyright and
> ownership of it to <FILL THE BLANK>".

Given the mess we have seen with the panotools license, a copyright transfer
would make sense. The question is which organisation or person <FILL THE
BLANK> should be. I would volunteer, but I'm not completely sure about the
legal implications.

> then I'd multi-license the database:
> - a free license for non-commercial use within open source applications.
> - a small fee for commercial use within open source tools (e.g. 20$).
> - a negotiable fee for licensed use in closed source commercial
> applications.

I think since the database is mostly build out of community work, it would
make sense to keep it free. I actually like the Creative Commons Sharealike
license for the database. The CC SA will make sure that people contribute
back to the database, should it be included in other packages. If commercial
packages start to use the database, their users will hopefully ask for
support for new lenses and cameras, with the result of a faster growing
database.

> I think it is reasonable to ask for money from commercial players,
> wether they are users making money using open source code or companies
> selling closed source software licenses.
>
> The money can be plugged back in to the community, e.g. code bounties,
> hardware, and all the other nice things that money can buy.

It would be nice to have more support for the development this way,
but I'm not sure if this model works well for such a very community based
project, where we have many authors that contribute a little pieces (one or
two calibrations).

ciao
   Pablo