[CREATE] Clipping Path names in TIFF files

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Tue May 29 18:17:53 PDT 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
>> I originally did not plan to use some kind of mark for "our" utf-8
>> encoded strings: Just try to decode it as UTF-8 and if it works it
>> probably was an UTF-8 encoded name. If it doesn't work we fall
>> back to
>> the adobe-iso-whatever encoding. But Franz thought it would be
>> easier to
>> just have this kind of marker would be useful.
>
> Please don't invent some kind of marker but use the Unicode BOM
> just as
> you suggested in the first place. This is the established way of
> marking
> a string as UTF-8. Let me quote from the Wikipedia page that I pointed
> you to:

On this note, I have discussed the issue with the "file format guy"
on the Photoshop team and he said that the reason that we've never
implemented Unicode names before is that no one really bothers to use
them.  However, he thinks UTF-8 support for the names makes perfect
sense and we will implement and support them in a future version of
our products (assuming we can hide it from marketing ;).

Leonard Rosenthol
Adobe Systems