[CREATE] Clipping Path names in TIFF files

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Tue May 29 11:13:11 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:53 +0200, Simon Budig wrote:

> The mark actually is not necessary for noting down some byte order or
> something. We could also use an arbitrary character that is unlikely to
> start a word and does not disturb the file loading in photoshop too
> much. We could even try if one of the ASCII control characters is
> invisible to photoshop users.
>
> I originally did not plan to use some kind of mark for "our" utf-8
> encoded strings: Just try to decode it as UTF-8 and if it works it
> probably was an UTF-8 encoded name. If it doesn't work we fall back to
> the adobe-iso-whatever encoding. But Franz thought it would be easier to
> just have this kind of marker would be useful.

Please don't invent some kind of marker but use the Unicode BOM just as
you suggested in the first place. This is the established way of marking
a string as UTF-8. Let me quote from the Wikipedia page that I pointed
you to:

  While UTF-8 does not have byte order issues, a BOM encoded in
  UTF-8 may be used to mark text as UTF-8.

Sven