[CREATE] spam blocking tactics for mediawiki

Yuval Levy create07 at sfina.com
Thu Sep 6 20:16:38 PDT 2007

John Bintz wrote:
> All right, I've upgraded the Create wiki to MediaWiki 1.11.0rc1.
> Unfortunately, the Bad Behavior extension doesn't seem to want to work,

that's the bleeding edge syndrome :-) I still run 1.10.0 on our intranet
   and I am installing a public (read only) one for a local university
lab next week.

Maybe I am late to the party, but here is my experience. Our intranet
wiki runs is the same like John Cuppitt's. Only the admin has access to
the create account page:

/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&type=signup

Only people with account can edit

Only a few pages are accessible to the public (w/o accounts) and only in
read only mode.

This is accomplished by editing LocalSettings.php:

<excerpt>

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['createaccount'] = true;

$wgGroupPermission['*']['edit'] = false;

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;

# Pages anonymous (not-logged-in) users may see
$wgWhitelistRead = array ("Special:Userlogin");

</excerpt>

no need for BadBehavior, Captcha and other things. Adapt to your needs.

Spam is a <censored/>

A spambot has already harvested email addresses from the create archive
- the alias I use for this mailing list started receiving spams a few
weeks ago.

And today is a sad day for me. A spambot has succeeded in dropping his
load of spam through my captcha protected contact form
<http://www.photopla.net/contact.php?ylctarget=webmaster> so I have to
raise up the ante.

<frustration rant censored/>

Yuv