[CREATE] assets library

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Sep 28 00:40:57 PDT 2007

Am 28.09.07, 09:17 +0200 schrieb Cyrille Berger:

> On Friday 28 September 2007, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > Flexibility is always a good argument, so I take it here. Following this,
> > the swatches spec should, in my opinion, allow arbitrary data as long as
> > it is in text form.
>
> Can you give us an example of use for arbitary data that can't be added to the
> spec now or ever ? I am quiet wary of unspecified "arbitrary data", which
> means that an application can store usefull information in there, but be the
> only one able to read it.

Look at the ICC, Tiff, OpenEXR or HTML specs. They all allow for
extensions in one or another form and only encurage to provide further
information and sometimes tries to coordinate later.

For instance Oyranos needs short hand names of colour names and long
versions.
If you dont like such in the spec, thats now an acceptable decision.
Just in Oyranos I wants to use the format with said non spec things and
possibly more like spectral data. The spec dont need to care, but
should be open to let others do what they see fit their needs.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management