[CREATE] Color opacity

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Sat Jun 7 10:31:45 PDT 2008

On Jun 7, 2008, at 2:46 AM, Olivier BERTEN wrote:

> IMHO, defining a color as a special gradient is wrong. A color is
> one of the materials used to build a gradient, while others can be
> patterns and textures/tiles. You should be able to build a gradient
> with any type of fill element (or stroke if it's a stroke
> gradient). So a color should be a stop attribute, not a single stop
> gradient.

I think we're bumping up a bit here against "should" vs "is" with
SVG. Especially with SVG 1.1 where there was no <solidColor> element,
a single-stop gradient was the main way to be able to functionally
get a reusable color (outside of CSS).

<linearGradient id="spotYellow"><stop stop-color="#ff6"/></
linearGradient>
<rect fill="url(#spotYellow)" stroke="none" x="100" y="100"
width="320" height="240" />