[CREATE] What is a tint?

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Tue Jun 10 20:25:33 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 21:20 +0200, Olivier BERTEN wrote:

> Next question: should tints come into color swatches? How to implement
> that in the create (or SVG) model?
>

> (I think the question of opaque spot inks on coloured papers needs to
> be discussed in its own thread)

Those are good questions. I brought them up last fall, but got no
response here.

For general use artists often look to get "tints", "tones", and
"shades". Commonly tints add white to a hue, shades add black to one,
and shades add gray.

I've gotten a simplified implementation of such that merely operates on
sRGB in SVG. However it would be good to have things more generally
portable via CREATE.

One might consider a tint, tone, or shade to be just another color,
although a derived one. Thus it would be specified fully as the base
color. It's the details on how to derive the one from the other that are
probably most interesting.