[CREATE] OpenRaster and filters

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Mon Jun 16 08:47:45 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 10:16 +0100, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> [...]

> this is where I think automatic
> validation based on XML schemas loaded from plug-ins etc fail; since
> an OpenRaster file might very well be using plug-ins that are not
> available in the host loading the document. Making this load fail
> gracefully (or fall back to stored caches in the composition) is what
> I see as problematic.

W3C XML Schema validation is not binary - it can mark subtrees as
not conforming.  If you *do* have the plugin it could of course
include a schema fragment.  It's also possible to have an
element that allows unknown children, a sort of Orphanage element.

At any rate I don't have strong feelings -- I'm trying to
make sure you can decide based on the possibilities and
consequences.

[...]

>  It is for instance very likely that GEGL will not use
> OpenRaster files with .png's .jpg's or .exr's when saving natively but
> use some of the same technologies using it's internal GeglBuffer
> on-disk representation.

Makes sense, XML is for interchange...

Liam