[CREATE] OpenRaster and filters

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Mon Jun 16 14:57:59 PDT 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> > After all it might appear like a feature, to check for strict or
> > lazy following the OpenRaster specification.
>
> There already has been discussions about various levels of confrmance
> or strictness. This is more about which core functionality is used,

The way I see OpenRaster is more like a toolkit to build raster file format.
But as far as, Open Raster (long-term) Archiving is concerned, only the core
functionnality are allowed, and for extension (like filters not available in
the core), then providing a rendered version of the filter will be
*mandatory*.

That said, I have started a list of filters I would like to see in
version "1.0" of core filters :
http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/OpenRaster/Effects_Specification
(it's mostly the list of SVG filters plus a few addition).

> the representation of the buffers (additional files stored along the
> .xml) etc. It is for instance very likely that GEGL will not use
> OpenRaster files with .png's .jpg's or .exr's when saving natively but
> use some of the same technologies using it's internal GeglBuffer
> on-disk representation.
But I would love to see those buffer standardized as well (even if they are
not part of ORA). I am pretty sure users would want to import GEGL-variant
OpenRaster files in Krita as well (and possibelly the other way arround too),
even if it's not the preferred way for interoperability.

--
Cyrille Berger