[CREATE] Pitching a community-funded conference

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Fri Mar 14 05:39:43 PDT 2008

On Friday, March 14, 2008, 1:33:16 PM, Alexandre wrote:

AP> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Dave Neary wrote:

>>  To reinforce this: let's say I'm talking to a Canon guy, one of his
>>  questions will be "how many people are coming?" I'd probably say "200".
>>  "and you're looking for how much money?" "20,000". "Do you honestly
>>  think we're going to get $100 extra profit per attendee at this
>>  conference if we sponsor?" And no, of course he isn't. That would mean
>>  everyone at the conference buying about $800 worth of Canon equipment.

AP> Do we have any rough estimation how many people will be visiting it?

AP> Do we know ways to raise awareness of the event?

Looking at http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/2008/index.php?lang=en

I don't see an obvious banner or button that people could use on blogs or whatever to promote the event.

Also the program
http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/2008/index.php?lang=en&action=program

would look better if it mentioned the speakers who are already listed on the wiki. Even if they don't have time slots yet; make a list of speakers.

Better, have a speakers page with mugshot beside the name of each speaker, and a brief bio.

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Interaction Domain Leader
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG