[CREATE] Bad news from Amsterdam

Dave Neary dneary at free.fr
Wed Oct 1 03:02:24 PDT 2008

Hi,

Daniel James wrote:
> If north America is up for consideration, you could approach the
> organisers of SCALE 2009, next February, with a view to co-location:
>
> http://scale7x.socallinuxexpo.org/
>
> On the plus side, you've probably got the largest single community of
> GNU/Linux graphics users in Los Angeles. On the negative side, I know
> getting visas to enter the US can be tough for people from certain
> countries.

I would be very interested to see an LGM-type stream in SCALE, and I
think that the organisers would love it too. I'm not sure it's good to
co-host LGM with another conference in general and lose that productive
intimacy we have had in the first one at least.

Having a free software graphics stream with buy-in from GIMP, Inkscape
and Blender folks would be very interesting given the proximity of
Hollywood. Of course, Robin Rowe has a stand regularly at SCALE for
LinuxMovies.

>> As Joao says, its about having a lead organiser and a team of local
>> hands to make it happen
>
> Right, it's a serious commitment. Advance publicity (I mean at least
> three months in advance to catch monthly magazine interest) is also
> crucial for reaching a broader audience.

The goal has not been, to my knowledge, to reach a wider audience. The
people who come to LGM come there to meet each other & work together.
When I did pre-event publicity for the first one, my primary goal was to
get sponsorship and constitute a dossier for following years (I don't
know if I ever passed on the press book I made up for LGM 1) - my second
goal was to attract local graphics designers. I wasn't really looking to
get "mass market" involved.

Cheers,
Dave.

--