[CREATE] A Study about Open Source Usability

Roshanak Zilouchian rzilouc2 at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 10 09:27:46 PDT 2009

Dear all,

Hello, my name is Roshanak Zilouchian and I am a PhD student in
Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign. I
am currently working with Brian Bailey at UIUC in a research study
that seeks to understand how usability experts collaborate in user
interface design process in Open source software by conducting
interviews. Knowledge gained from this particular study will enable us to
understand the existing UI design process and effectiveness of our proposed
tools and methods that aim at improving usability of open source software.
The study is being conducted by myself, Kora Bongen, Prof.
Karrie Karahalios, and Prof. Brian Bailey from the Department of
Computer Science at the University of Illinois-Urbana.

We are looking for experienced usability experts or people who do design and
contribute to open source software to participate in the interviews.  Behdad
told me this mailing list is a good placeto find UI designers or usability
experts who contributed to the open source software. Knowing the high
caliber of designers who contribute to
the open source community, I'm assured that designers on this mailing list
would serve as an impartial contribution to my study. I understand that
designers are probably incredibly busy. The interviews are conducted over
phone and will last between 30 to 60 minutes.

Of course anything discussed will be used solely for research purposes and
will be strictly confidential. We would be willing to sign a non-disclosure
agreement if  necessary. Also, as a token of appreciation, we offer a $20
Amazon gift card to volunteers.

In order for you to gain a clearer understanding of the project I
have described our goals, I can send you a copy of the IRB form for
this experiment for your review. If you would be interested in
participating in this interview, or have any questions regarding the
project, please feel free to contact me. If you are unavailable to
participate in the
interview, but know of other candidates that may be, we would
greatly appreciate you forwarding this email on to friends and colleagues
that fit our selection criteria (usability experts or people who do design
in open source community).

Thank you in advance for your help, I am looking forward to hearing
from you.

Roshanak Zilouchian
rzilouc2 at illinois.edu