[CREATE] Cross Software UI

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 08:19:39 PDT 2009

2009/8/18 Brian Vidal castillo wrote:

> Hi there, we are starting a huge project in order to take advantage of some
> applications UI re-design: we want to make a huge UI redesign in the best
> opensource design, authoring and media creation/edition software.

So you started the project finally :) Nice :)

> The need to do this is essentially, to provide a cross UI between all major
> media-related software.

I'm a little worried about that you started prototyping UI so early.

Also, what you have to be aware of is:

1. GIMP's UI is a work in progress.
2. Scribus's UI is a work in progress.
3. Inkscape's UI is more or less settled, but some changes are planned.

For Scribus, if I got it right, the idea is to make a modularized
properties palette much like GIMP's one. And for Inkscape the plan was
to eventually move to upstream libgdl which would provide GIMP-like
regroupable docking palettes as well. Which means that at least three
projects are already gravitating to a similar UI.

I'm not sure how much you can get from Cinelerra and Audacity here.
They are quite different beast from many POVs. So I'd love to see what
exactly it is you want to change there (at least speaking on behalf of
Audacity team).

> Research: seek the most efficient and maybe beauty UI based on users habbits and suggestions.

You need something like
http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/2006/11/creating-user-scenarios-with-gimpteam.html

I'm serious about that. One thing you will immediately run into is
that every user will try to make you do everything the way (s)he
likes.

P.S. Do you want me to update
http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/User_interaction_implementations
for you?