[CREATE] Font Select Dreams

Braydon Fuller courier at braydon.com
Sun Aug 30 13:05:53 PDT 2009

I don't think font selection is that big of a deal, it's usually a
pretty detailed process to choose typeface for a project anyways, and
once you know what you want to use, you just need to know the name of it
to quickly access them via typing, as it's the fastest way to access
them, like Enso/Ubiquity.

What I see as one of the biggest issues is that many of the digital
fonts for a lot of the contemporary and historically significant fonts
in the last 100 years are not open-licensed or public domain, and look
to be on a copyright renew track to never enter public domain (???).

Some of my old favorites for example:
1. Akzidenz Grotesk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akzidenz_Grotesk)
2. Helvetica Neue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica_Neue)
3. Univers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers)
4. Frutiger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frutiger)
5. DIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_1451)
6. Meta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FF_Meta)

The unique characteristics of them carry cultural weight, that can't be
thrown off ship just because of their not being open-licensed, however
at some point they need to be public domain in their digital form.
However one of the things about these typefaces is their expression of
the printing press, and metal type, and therefore are representative of
a period and the printing machine. Like many serif typefaces are
representative of when type was chiseled by hand, and feels more humanistic.

What I am curious about searching for now is typefaces that are an
expression of software freedom. But not necessarily the licensing of
free software. A tight integration between software and typefaces, where
the letter forms have source code like a program rather than just paths,
etc. So when doing typeface explorations, you may not pull out the
digital draw of typefaces, but may do some hacking on a typeface source
code to come up with something new.

Do you know of any projects like that?

Braydon