[CREATE] State of resources spec

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Feb 19 17:27:25 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Sven Langkamp wrote:
>
>> what's the state of the resources spec? The wiki page lists no update since
>> 2005, the package is no longer available and I haven't seen anything on the
>> list about it. Is there still interest to finish and release it?
>> If that's the case, what is missing?
>
> Here is some insight.
>
> Several issues with the spec, IMO:
>
> 1. I want it to be part of XDG. It was discussed before, but noone
> replied my last mail asking about progress. So I take it as it was
> never done. So it's on my todo.

I agree, this is a great idea. How can this be moved forward?

> 2. I'd love to see levels and curves presets to be covered by the spec.
> 3. Unstable GIMP supports tagging resources. I'd love to see the spec
> covering this too.
> 4. Th spec includes too much analysis text. My plan was to move it to
> a separate document. On my todo as well.
> 5. I'd love to see modularized packages (create-brushes,
> create-gradients etc.). Not sure if it's on my todo, but I think I
> could do it.
>
> It's a kind of surprise that the package is not available yet. But
> this is easy to solve.
>
> Alexandre

Alexandre, you have been one of the main drivers on this, so what is
the next step on this? I think we should just push the simplest spec
possible and then if useful, put the next stuff into a future version.

Alexandre, could this be something good to drive home towards LGM and
something you'd like to talk about at LGM?

Jon

Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/