[CREATE] ink/paper simulation

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins at mardigrafe.com
Mon Jul 13 18:22:49 PDT 2009

Alastair M. Robinson a écrit :
> Hi :)
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
>> Well, one of the users came up with a very smart idea: a (Corel
>> Painter-like) tool to simulate real paper and inks to see what
>> actually would happen to glyphs printed with a small font size with
>> different inks on different surfaces and with different colors, taking
>> trapping into consideration as well, especially on problematic parts
>> of shapes (narrow serifs, stroke variation etc., I fancy). A
>> font-proof, in fact. So a type designer could see this and apply
>> tweaks to his design.
>
> Hmmmm - very interesting idea.  There are a huge number of variables to
> take into account, though.

Exactly.

Let’s not turn this into something unusable. (Such as the paper formats
in Scribus.) A huge list of whatever-can-be-the-printed-media is going
to be completely useless. Please. Let’s not do that. Even if it’s so
temptating again to let the whole world WE KNOW BETTER. We don’t.

And who cares anyway?

Really.

Let’s give a mean to users so they can set the background to whatever
they wish in order to simulate the printing media. That is ok. (And btw,
this is completely into the scope of color management). Let’s give some
useful hints. But let’s not ask paper makers of the world to provide us
with color info of their papers. We are never going to get out of this.
The list is going to be endless and as useless as one can think a
useless thing can be. Even if we can edit the list. Nobody but newbies
are going to use this list and in the end it will be of no help to
anybody. In this particular case, it is better to understand what’s
going on than provide tools nobody will ever use.

This will be my only post on that subject. I am not ready at all to
discuss this further as I find it is leading us absolutely nowhere.

Louis